Stocklist - Carriages - RDB 975046 'Lab 11'
Lab11 at Okehampton, ready for service at Easter 2015
Lab 11 began life in 1951 as BR Mk1 Brake Second Corridor (BSK) S34249 at Ashford/Eastleigh, built to diagram 181, on lot number 30021. Initially it worked between London and Ramsgate then from 1963 it was part of a boat train from Waterloo to Southampton Docks connecting with the ferry to St Malo. It was withdrawn from revenue earning service in February 1970, and converted in June 1970 to QXX RDB 975046 'Laboratory 11' to form part of the Tribology Test Train, with which it entered service in 1972.
It last ran in this guise in 1996, and was disposed of in 2004, arriving on the DR in Sept 2011 via the Great Central Railway. DRSA C&W volunteers have restored it to its original Research Division livery. The restoration suffered a major setback when Lab 11 was the subject of a graffiti attack in April 2014, but DRSA's C&W team took a deep breath and got stuck back into re-finishing it, getting it into service in spring 2015. The interior has been fitted out with tables and loose chairs, and as a dual-braked brake coach with a generator and a kitchen, Lab 11 is a very versatile vehicle.
DRSA is indebted to Okehampton United Charities and an anonymous benefactor for financial assistance with the restoration.
Elsewhere on the website is a gallery of photos of the restoration, and a downloadable information sheet (1.3Mb) with more details.
Owner:Dartmoor Railway Supporters' Association
Return to stocklist