Dartmoor Railway retrospective


Receiving a batch of 1991 photos of DR from Colin Burges of the Exeter and Teign Valley Railway prompted me to start this page of images of our railway in the past. Contributions welcome, the older the better.

Continuously Welded Rail for the Dartmoor Railway


Photographer: Tony Hill



More from the Tony Hill Archive. This is the train in the Autumn of 1983 from the then BR WR Hookagate Rail welding depot near Shrewsbury, conveying serviceable 60' flat bottom rails welded into 900ft lengths that were for use at Coleford on the Okehampton line curve. The train is seen recessed in Yatton down loop with a hot box awaiting C&W attention before it could proceed to Exeter Riverside Yard.


Okehampton 1961

This was recently (August 2017) very kindly donated. If anyone knows who took it, please let us know. There's not much left of this scene now - just the odd clue. Can anyone explain why the tall signal post with repeater was necessary, or what was the likely content of the drums.

Maunsell N class no 31406 approaching the Okehampton turntable in spring 1961
Photographer: Unknown



Okehampton August 8th 1991


Colin Burges took these on the day of Okehampton Show. The railway had been closed to passengers for nearly twenty years, and the idea and the name of the Dartmoor Railway had yet to be conceived. There was much less vegetation, more sidings and other infrastructure, but the buildings were derelict. Which do you prefer - then or now?

The loading dock of the Okehampton military sidings. The line climbs towards Meldon above the wall on the right.
Photographer: Colin Burges
Date taken: 08/08/1991



The Meldon end of Okehampton Station
Photographer: Colin Burges
Date taken: 08/08/1991



Okehampton Station in a timewarp, abandoned but intact, mercifully free of vandals.
Photographer: Colin Burges
Date taken: 08/08/1991



The Waterloo end of Okehampton Station
Photographer: Colin Burges
Date taken: 08/08/1991



The site of the military sidings, from the Park Road/Tors Road bridge.
Photographer: Colin Burges
Date taken: 08/08/1991


North Tawton July 7th 1991


Colin writes " ..not long after the line had been lifted to accommodate the new road bridge. Then, without the lineside growth, the impression of Devon's longest straight was still strong. This is a lasting memory from my boyhood: sitting behind the driver of a D.M.U. and seeing the double line dipping and rising ahead on a journey to Plymouth"

Photographer: Colin Burges
Date taken: 07/07/1991



Photographer: Colin Burges
Date taken: 07/07/1991



Photographer: Colin Burges
Date taken: 07/07/1991



Okehampton 1986


The goods shed, still surving albeit now as a Youth Hostel, with a siding passing behind it.
Photographer: Mr Bowden



Okehampton Station in 1986, pending better times
Photographer: Mr Bowden



Okehampton station in 1986(?) showing the unrebuilt Platform 2 buildings, sidings where the cycle hire business now operates, and window frames in the footbridge.
Photographer: Mr Bowden


DMU charter 1978


On a Sunday in May 1978, the 1030 from Exeter Central, a 3 car DMU (class 119?), waiting at Okehampton before returning to Exeter; one of a series of Charter trains then run by Transport 2000.
Photographer: Tony Hill


The Last Down 'Brighton'


The last Down "Brighton" Sat 4 March 1967. D868 Zephyr waits time at Okehampton with the last 1012 Brighton to Plymouth 1V65, formed of 9 BR MK1 coaches including a Buffet car, in a mixture of SR Green and the then new BR Inter City Blue/Grey livery. Note the water crane still in situ. (4 March 1967 was also the date that the 0110 Waterloo to Plymouth Passenger & News, 1040 Plymouth to Brighton and 1650 Plymouth to Eastleigh ran for the last time, thus ending regular loco hauled services on the former Southern Exeter to Plymouth main line).
Photographer: Tony Hill
Date taken: 04/03/1967


Greyhound at Okehampton


Ex-LSWR Drummond T9 4-4-0 no 30717 at Okehampton in June 1954. (Photo owner/copyright unknown).


Stations


Bow station during the LSWR period (photo courtesy of Nicholas & Reeve, Irwell Press)



An early Edwardian photograph of North Tawton with stationmaster W.H. Odam in the bowler hat. (Photo David Howe collection, courtesy of Nicholas & Reeve, Irwell Press)